Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino is an interaction designer, product designer and entrepreneur. She was named first in a list of 100 Internet of Things Influencers (2016), second in Top 100 Internet of Things Thought Leaders (2014) and was in the Top 100 Influential Tech Women on Twitter (2014). She is the founder of the Good Night Lamp, connected lamps for your global friends and family. She is the director of designswarm, a strategic consultancy focusing on the internet of things, working with BBC R&D, P&G, British Gas, EDF R&D and Nominet, British Telecom and others.
This practical workshop is designed to introduce the practical side of creating a connected product and adjusting your strategy to playing on this boosting market. Whether you are a product design team looking to grow their toolkit or a business enterprise looking to expand into software-enabled products, you will find insight and inspiration in this interactive workshop. Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino, arguably one of the leading voices in the IoT space, will cover everything from planning a product and prototyping, to beta testing, making bigger production batches, and engaging with wholesalers and retailers. She discusses IP and business structures as well as investment in this space.
Value and expected outcomes
- Gain the full understanding of the internet-enabled product design process
- Learn how to build a strategy, form teams and partnerships around Internet of Things (IoT)
- Inspire your teams to create innovative solutions and products
What is covered?
- A history of the internet of things
- A breakdown and planning document for connected product development
- Prototyping tools and approaches
- Beta testing with users
- First design iterations
- Design for manufacture (materials, processes)
- Working with retailers
- Software in connected product development (firmware and backend)
- Assembly and logistics
- Branding, marketing and PR
- Intellectual property
- Investment and business structures